An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

June 2, 2012

Is "Jungly" Even a Real Word?

In the past few weeks, we have been experiencing waves of unsettled weather resulting in interrupted plans and entertaining skies full of rain.  Last night we had two waves roll through, and the first one dropped a tornado over Hampton.  Fortunately no one was seriously injured, and as of this morning, the worst damage seems to be confined to non-residential areas.  My garden has responded to the rain in spades, and I predict some pruning in my future.  I'd better go sharpen the machete.

Back Deck

Back Garden

Gardenia jasminoides 'August Beauty'

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Frau Kinue' (Angel Robe) (2)

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Frau Kinue' (Angel Robe)

Macleaya cordata

Front Garden with Yucca filamentosa 'Golden Sword, (2)

Front Porch

Front Garden 2

17 comments:

  1. jungly is indeed a word in hindi language. it means wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely set. I got almost three inches of rain last night - my garden looks a bit bruised, but not broken. At least we won't have to water this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Les! Great work and inspiration. Glad to see an emerging Sabal in all of it. What variety is it, or just S minor? Great texture and color. Next week I will begin with a machete in my garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I do believe that jungly is a word and an apt one to describe the thick foliage in your garden. Lush would be another good word.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a visual treat to see your garden. Love the hydrangea blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jungly is definitely a word. At least it is a word that I would use. Great pics. I am in love with those Asarum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is lush! We've had a little rain but it's fairly dry for this time of year. That cyclamen is stunning. Now that is a foliage plant I could love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great examples of layering, and photo composition too. Jungely, I'd say so, as in Raymond Jungles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful lush and jungly (in the best sense of the word) garden you have! We won't be seeing any rain till mid october at the earliest. Everything Looks so refreshed, I can almost smell the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could send some of that rain this way. We've had a dry spring. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like all the textures and contrasts in the photos.

    Gardening in a dryer and colder climate, I often wish my garden was more jungly. It takes longer here to build up a lush and thick look, both over the years, and even during the season. I still have a few slowpoke perennials that are just coming up now in June.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your garden is magnificent! Glad it weathered the storm. We got hit bad in the DC area, too, and it was the first opportunity for our newly constructed (by us) dry creek bed to prove its worth.
    http://www.pqandmb.blogspot.com/2012/06/dry-creek-in-action.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the combination of the hydrangea flower and the loropetalum -- and good to see that you have one of my favorites, Asarum chinensis. Your garden and your photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jungly is an awesome word Les.

    I love overgrown, wild-looking gardens. That's why I love the "Tangled Garden".

    It's what I'm aiming for in my little garden.

    Just wish I had your milder climate.

    ReplyDelete