An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

July 2, 2010

Scenes Along the Shore

Feeling indignant I had to work six of seven days a few weeks ago, including Father's Day - I took an extra day the following week and headed to Virginia's beautiful Eastern Shore. Fortune smiled and I was able to spend time on the water each day fishing or beaching. Between my father and I, we caught about 30 flounder on Thursday and 20 on Friday, however only 1 out of the 50 was bigger than the 18.5" minimum size limit. Regardless it was still better than working, and the one we kept tasted good that evening crusted with pecans and oregano.

Due to the tides, we put in early each morning in Parker's Creek.

Parker's Creek Poles (2)


The creek leads out to Metompkin Bay, the barrier island beaches and Metompkin Inlet where the fish are. To get there you must navigate a series of channels and tidal flats bordered by thin green lines of Spartina grass, lush now that it is summer. The importance of this grass to the coastal ecology can not be underestimated.

Thin Green Line (2)


Spartina


Spartina Posts (2)


Although at first glance the barrier islands oceanfront's seem barren compared to the lush marsh, there is plenty of life here, including lots of birds. In fact there were so many birds that you could even hear them over the outboard engine, and when the engine was off it was downright cacophonous.

Angry Skimmer


Channeled Whelk


Knobbed Whelk (3)


Duck Blind Couch (2)


Ghost Crab


Cedar Island Coast Guard Station


Dogs are not allowed on the sensitive barrier islands, and since not all of them make good fishing partners - Penny, Loretta and cousin Sage had to enjoy each other's company closer to home.

Cousins


Cousins (5)


Cousins (4)


Watchful Pine


I am thankful for the opportunity to enjoy a needed, spur-of-the-moment mini-vacation, and I especially enjoyed my time on the water and time spent with my parents.

If you would like to see the rest of my photos, they are on my Flickr page, and if you really have time on your hands, you can see my earlier Metompkin posts here.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this bit of heaven with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A clear candidate for "Best Place on Earth." So glad you got some time away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again your photos are wonderful. I imagine there were tons of dragonflies over the marsh. Seems to be their time of year. Can't believe that ghost crab stood still long enough for a picture.
    Hope you have a good 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that you feel for this amazing place comes through in these stunning photos. And this part of the country obviously grows happy dogs too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 30 fish?! Wow! Sounds tasty. I’m glad you got such a perfect break. These shots are breathtaking. Enter them in a contest. My favorites are the first four.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine how peaceful that was. Coming from a place that at first seems barren (far West Texas) even for it's magnificence, I understand the pleasures in all the little important discoveries. So the hounds are off-leash! Looks like a blast. Wish we could let Bud run like that in our hills--too afraid he'd run after deer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You live in what has to be one of the loveliest areas of the country. Every time you take us to a new location, I fall in love with the landscape again. Loved the sudden jump in scale with the shell photo after the landscape views. Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those images said it all...Couldn't have expressed it any better...Very nice...
    Keep'em coming...

    Take Care
    .
    .
    .
    .
    My Recently Launched Gardening Blog:
    www.totallyterrafirma.com

    Please feel free to register and leave any comments or thoughts that you might have...
    And Remember - The Good Earth Provides The Soil That Ultimately Feeds The Soul...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos and post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loree,
    You are welcome. I do like to share this place.

    Michael,
    I agree, but let's be quiet about it.

    Janet,
    I was surprised about the crab too, usually they scoot away to their holes quickly when you approach. This one acted like we caught it doing something wrong and was in shock.

    Denise,
    Thank you for the kind comment. I am glad you picked up on that.

    Sarah,
    Perhaps I will enter them in something.

    Lynn,
    Penny nearly caught a rabbit during our trip. I was afraid she would not come back, but she did.

    Linda,
    I am very fond of it here. It is a good thing since I can't afford to travel like I would want to.

    Monteen,
    Thanks for stopping by, good luck with your blog.

    Rene,
    Thanks for stopping by, please come back again.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice photos. Your work is inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pankaj,
    Thanks for the nice comment and come back again.

    Les

    ReplyDelete