An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

December 31, 2018

The Last Sunset of 2018

     2018 has not been a good year. In fact, it has likely been one of the worst for me and my family. This was a year of great loss for us, permanent loss from death, and temporary loss from incarceration. If there can be any upshots to these losses, it would be the reminder not to wait until people are gone from your life to cherish your relationships. The other upshot was to recognize what I can control, and that I have the strength to avoid unhealthy stresses over what I cannot control. There were also enough minor events throughout the year that made me question the laws of karma, and just what I had done to tip the scales. Add to all this the big black cloud of chaotic idiocy centered over Washington, and 2018 is indeed a year I want to see behind me. However, I am not running into 2019 with open arms. I will be cautious, but taking my joys whenever, wherever I can. I hope you can do the same. 


14 comments:

  1. The whole world's in pretty bad shape, and many I think, fear for the future. I hope your close-to-home issues will be healed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as resolutions go, "taking my joys whenever I can" is a very good way to start a new year. I wish you less stress and happy celebrations.
    I missed your posts and hope you'll get your blogging mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "taking my joys whenever, wherever I can"... well said Les!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les, I am sorry it has been such a terrible year for you. I hope you can find some peace and comfort in the little things.

    My own beloved daughter struggles with mental illness and suicide. I tell my friends that it is like living with Schrodinger's cat.

    The photo of the railway lights and the reflection fits beautifully with your post.

    Hang in there and start planning a garden ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Les. We've had some family challenges (aging parents) this year, too. Though it's unlikely those will improve in the new year, your advice rings true. Blessings to you and yours in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes finding the good in every day is the only way to make it through. I hope 2019 is a better year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I relate all too well. I hope you've had some good days lately...75 here today. I go out regularly to smell the witch hazels and try to forget the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Les, so sorry that things close to home have not moved in a direction I am sure you hoped and worked for. Learning that we can't control things is a hard lesson and one I am always having to re-learn. I am staying away from national politics as much as possible. We do not talk about them at home as it is the only way to have a calm space to help us survive all the chaos of modern life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les, it's further into the year now. I hope you are well. It is a challenging time for all of us. This has been a difficult year for me as well. Thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite this favorite of garden blogs going dark, I must congratulate you Les for turning Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Les, it's been over a year. Now with this covid stuff.....how are you doing? Your post hits me now particularly hard as I finally understand what you are saying. It's difficult. Perhaps are you better. I hope you are better. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Les, I'm sorry to hear things were so awful for you in 2018. I hated 2018 as well. Someday, perhaps, we can talk about it. I just wanted to say hi. It's been a long time, but I couldn't write for awhile. Thinking of you.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Les, I reviewed your comments and it caused me to follow some of the links to the Norfolk Botanic Garden. It sounds like that has worked out well for you. I always enjoyed your musings both on gardens and other topics so I hope that life gives you an opportunity to return to writing again. If I ever find myself in Norfolk I will be sure to check out the Botanic Garden.

    ReplyDelete