An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

January 21, 2017

Women's March on Norfolk

     I spent most of yesterday on the couch, my eyes glazed over from the inauguration spectacle. It left me with a feeling of despair for this country and its future, especially after hearing that carnage of an address. Today I feel better. I rode my bike downtown to take part in a Sister March of the Women's March on Washington. The turnout was like no other I have ever seen in Norfolk, and the best part about it was the absolute diversity that made up the crowd. I left with a renewed pride in my country, and with a sliver of hope for it's future.
Women March, Norfolk 2017  (1)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (2)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (16)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (6)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (5)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (4)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (21)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (19)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (14)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (8)

     I ran into many people I know, including Jessica and her sons.
Women March, Norfolk 2017  (7)

     This dad brought his small son and daughter to the March. I got the impression that the mother in the family was not there; perhaps she had to work.
Women March, Norfolk 2017  (10)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (17)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (25)

     I love that this woman wore our normally staid state flag around her shoulders. The flag includes our state motto, Sic Semper Tyrannis, on it, and her sign translated it for the non-Latin speakers in the crowd.
Women March, Norfolk 2017  (3)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (22)

Women March, Norfolk 2017  (26)

     You can see my complete photo set on Flickr.

Addendum 1/22/2017 - Before I published this post, I knew that it would likely offend some of the people who regularly read my blog. In fact, one of you took the time to tell me so, and have since unsubscribed. I will not apologize. However, I will let you know my intent is never to offend. Hopefully, if what you see does bother you, then you will move past it, only to return another time; most of what you will find is not overtly political. I blog for many reasons, but primarily it is an extension of my voice, and a personal undertaking. In this current age of divisiveness, we need to remember that everyone is entitled to their political opinions if given respectfully, and these opinions are only part of what makes a person. In the past year I have I needed to remind myself of this in the face of family and friends who disagree with me politically. Doing so makes it easier to continue with love and respect. Peace!

37 comments:

  1. I felt terrible yesterday.

    I feel better today, seeing this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am utterly thrilled to have participated in the NYC women's March and to see photos of marches around the U.S. And the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw on the news that NYC had an incredible turnout, and yes, the global effort was uplifting.

      Delete
  3. Great set of photos. We went rock collecting yesterday morning and then a group of us planned to have lunch together and the first place we tried was blaring the inauguration speech into the parking lot. We all looked at each other and drove elsewhere. It was a scary experience. I could only think of Nazi Germany as a comparison. I'm glad people could hang together today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound scary, John. I hope your lunch elsewhere was a little more peaceful.

      Delete
  4. Les,how many women protestors were there demanding the right to be drafted into military service just like men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard no women specifically asking for the draft, however, there were many members of the military there, both male and female.

      Delete
  5. So great to see your pictures of the march, Les, and to hear from a sane, moral person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos, Les. What a powerful message today. And it was a truly peaceful, meaningful event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed peaceful, and very diverse.

      Delete
  7. I marched in DC and it was amazing! I've loaded the Vote Spotter app onto my phone to make tracking my reps voting records very easy. Plus, it's a great way to get in touch with them. We cannot be silent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the mention of Vote Spotter. I had not heard of it, but will look into it.

      Delete
  8. YOU go GIRL! Thrilled with all the marches on Sat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a man, and it has been a long time since I was a boy, but I am going to take your sentiment and enjoy it anyway. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful Les. The March on Washington here in Halifax was also well attended...We have our own extreme right elements here in Canada. Most worrisome. Check out my blog for pics from our rally. We're standing with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out your photos, and thank you for the support.

      Delete
  10. I was disconsolate Friday but then cheered by so many people around the world marching yesterday. This cannot be one moment in time. We must never stop resisting. By the way Les, my posting about our first endangered bee is up at www.thedirtdiaries.com. I have a bad hip and could not march, but I can work behind the scenes to draw attention to this important issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your hip Lynn, and I hope you will be on the mend soon.

      Delete
  11. Glad you could be a part of it. It was very successful here. It is a scary time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not only uplifting, but I will say fun too.

      Delete
  12. Thank you, Les, for posting this. I'm in England on sabbatical and due to a family medical crisis was unable to attend the sister march in London. I'm happy to see that you are marching offline and online. Great photos and message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I hope your medical crisis has resolved itself, and good that you are in a country of universal health care.

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for sharing. I have a few pics on treeslifeintoomuchdetail.blogspot.com if you would like to see Augusta Maine's turnout of 10-15,000. I am so glad I went!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the link. I will pop over for a look.

      Delete
  14. Sorry that was treestoomuchdetail.blogspot.com :) anyone else has march photos on their blogs or stories let me know thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What I find offensive is the results of the November election! The marches around the world are exhilarating and give me hope. I'm thrilled with your post! It made my day. No, my week. I saw a marcher with a sign that read: We Shall Over Comb! It's good to laugh out loud again. Thank you for this post, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had several comb over posters as well. The marches really brought out the snarky humor in people.

      Delete
  16. Peace to you, Les! I'm heartened by your comments, as well as both of your beautiful blogs for several years. I was in the Women's March (Rally) in Kansas City MO, and found it to be peaceful, diverse, thought-provoking, and inspiring. I loved to see the wonderful women and girls, and also the many kind and supportive men. My daughter marched in Paris. A beautiful day all over the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I with you on the beautiful day around the world sentiment. If anything the marches let the rest of the world know that a good number of us are not behind this man.

      Delete
  17. These marches and the instant protests about the immigration policy are real signs that people are going to fight back and make their voices heard. So many dads and young children at our march. The police here thought we would get about 30,000 and we got close to 100,000! I have been posting a lot of political stuff, partly because I think people who were not there need to see that those marching look just like them. We both want what's best for our families and our country but we seem to have very different ideas of what that might be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100,000 is fantastic, even knowing that Madison leans left, which is a good thing.

      Delete
  18. Les, I haven't visited your blog in awhile - wow! Such an awesome pictorial essay, the best I've seen yet. Here in Denver, we had a turnout of 100,000. I didn't go and really regret it. You have inspired me to DEFINITELY attend the next one. And to find a knitting pattern for the Pussy Hat! --Pam in CO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of our best friends were in the Denver march. We were texting back and forth, and shared photos in real time. It was very unifying.

      Delete