An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

August 30, 2016

Back to Belle Isle

     Well hello! Why yes, I do still blog, though lately not often. It's just that I've been working very hard this summer, and playing equally as hard. I also helped throw a big party, spent time dodging a health bullet, and lastly, but not leastly, we managed to get our only child off to college. This last item was why I found myself in Richmond, and at VCU, two weekends in a row. He said "no" when I first asked if he wanted to bring his bike when we took him and his things up for dorm move-in weekend. However, sometime in the ensuing week he changed his mind, and I ran it up to him this past weekend. I didn't mind, the trip is just two hours, and I wanted to see him, the dogs did too, plus I enjoy Richmond. Although I wasn't born there, it was where I was raised, and I guess I still call it my hometown.

     After my delivery was made, lunch eaten, and recent dorm room enhancements viewed and complemented, the dogs and I traveled a few blocks down to the James River for a hike to Belle Isle. In my late teens and twenties, my friends and I would often have great adventures there. To reach the island back then we would hop the rocks if the water was low enough. Otherwise, we had to scale a stone railroad support column, using old electrical cables to reach an abandoned trestle, then we crossed over the rushing water, while avoiding the missing, rotten or loose railroad ties. Once there we usually had the island to ourselves, and could explore its flood-ravaged, abandoned buildings unhindered. These days the island can be reached by a pedestrian bridge that is suspended from the undersides of the Lee Bridge. Judging by the full parking lot, and all of the people on the island, Belle Isle today must be one of the city's most popular attractions.

     To reach the footbridge, I first had to walk underneath the still active CSX trestle, cars overhead carrying coal to the coast.
Belle Isle - CSX Trestle (4)

Belle Isle - CSX Trestle (2)

Belle Isle - CSX Trestle (1)

     You can easily tell that the railroad trestle, and the current incarnation of the Lee Bridge (from which the footbridge is suspended) were built in different eras.
Belle Isle - Pedestrian Bridge (2)

Belle Isle - Pedestrian Bridge (3)

Belle Isle - Pedestrian Bridge (4)

     Belle Isle has a long history. Native Americans and early colonist fished here, Capt. John Smith explored it in 1607, stone was quarried here, and it was the site of some of Richmond's first industry. It was also the site of a notorious Civil War prison for Union soldiers. During the 20th century it was home to a hydroelectric power plant, and steelworks, the remains of which are now covered in thick vegetation, as is most of the island. There are many native tree species thriving on the island including river birches, sycamores, oaks, black cherries, hickories, and sassafras, with non-natives like Paulownia, mimosa, and Ailanthus doing there best to take over. The trees themselves, and the ruined structures are covered in vines, especially native trumpet vine and Virginia Creeper, of course English Ivy has also made the island home. In sunnier areas large grasses and wildflowers grow lush. There are many trails throughout the island for hiking, biking, jogging, and whatever; signs interpret the island's varied history along the way.
Derelict Bridge

Belle Isle - Platanus occidentalis

Belle Isle - Powerhouse (2)

Belle Isle - Quarry

Belle Isle - Rhus and Panicum

Belle Isle - Steelworks (1)

Belle Isle - Steelworks (3)

Belle Isle - Steelworks (4)

Belle Isle - Steelworks (6)

Belle Isle - Steelworks

Belle Isle - Clematis paniculata (2)

Belle Isle - Clematis paniculata

Belle Isle - James River (1)

Belle Isle - James River (4)

Belle Isle - Patriots

Brown's Island (1)

Belle Isle - Richmond Skyline

      Haven had many roles in Richmond's history, I am so glad that today Belle Isle is a much needed city-center oasis for both wildlife and people.

12 comments:

  1. Happy to read a new post and delight in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on becoming and empty nester and for the opportunity to revisit a childhood "playground". The intersection of steel and nature is always striking.
    A rusted gear would make great focal point my garden :-)
    Those are some amazing rocks in the river!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a local factory was demolished, they bulldozed the remains to be hauled away. Driving by, I spotted a giant cog and nearly ruined my back dragging it into my car. It now sits in the middle of the backyard looking every bit like a sunburst.

      Delete
  3. Gosh Les, all the times I've been to Richmond I never knew about Belle Isle. Thank you for the visit. I'm sure you've been to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, but if not, please go. Especially while the Butterflies Live! exhibit is still there. I've spent many a happy afternoon in the gardens (and with the butterflies) after judging rose shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love Lewis Ginter. We had a nice behind-the-scenes tour with their staff several years ago.

      Delete
  4. What a kewl place to visit. I love that sort of place. Glad you dodged that health concern Les.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post and such beautiful photos! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gentrified - a foot bridge. I only remember the springy electrical cable and crossing the railroad bridge. I also remember the copper saturated water in the mine pond.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back Les! I really enjoyed reading your post. The photos are wonderful making me want to visit them and see them in person. Thanks for sharing this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete