An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

May 21, 2016

It Could Be Yours

     Last weekend my father and I stopped by the former home of friends of his. They have moved on to a new life in Florida and have put this house on the market. It is in the small courthouse town of Accomac, on Virginia's Eastern Shore, and sits on over three acres of sandy loam that will grow just about anything (I've been eating fresh asparagus from their garden all week). The house is surrounded by boxwood and Poncirus hedges, there are large trees and shrubs, plus many beds for perennials. There are also several outbuildings, including gardening sheds, an old schoolhouse, and a large garage/workshop that might induce grown men (and some women) to drool. The house itself is over 120 years old and has 4 bedrooms, and 3 and a half baths, and if you are interested all the particulars are on Zillow. I'm not on commission; I just like old houses and big gardens. 

Bearded Iris (1)

Chives

Split Rial Fence with Weigela

Eastern Red Cedar

School House under Eastern Red Cedar

Porch View (2)

Porch View (1)

Porch View (4)

Bearded Iris (2)

Front View with Dianthus and Boxwood Lined Walkway

Front View Beyond Poncirus Hedge (1)

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely place! I hope a friend buys it so you can still visit. We had delicious grilled asparagus last night too. I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, if I lived in the area, I'd consider it. I love everything about the home, the gardens, the landscaping, and the gardening zone! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place! I love old houses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great place to retire to if you are a gardener, and historic architect. Why would anyone give this up for Florida?
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the house! I have driven by it. We have a place on Chincoteague and visit St. James in the winter. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful old house with lovely grounds.That old wood post is so full of character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely home and garden! I hope someone buys it soon and loves it the way the current owners obviously have.

    ReplyDelete