An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

April 15, 2016

Bloom Day - Bright Spring Sun

     I am feeling rich right now, at least when I am in my garden. Ample rains, cool air, and bright sunshine have conspired to create lots of flowers and lush foliage. Weather is always up in the air, so to speak, that you can never be sure how long a pattern will last, so I am enjoying this one while I can.

     (Hovering over the photos should give you the plant names. Some browsers don't support the Flickr titles when you hover, so I have added the plant names.)

     Cross Vine (Bignonia capreolata)
Bignonia capreolata

Front Porch

     Frisia Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia')
Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' (2)

Robinia pseudoacacia 'Frisia' (1)

          Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica)
Front Garden (3)

     Front Garden
Front Garden (2)

     Unknown, or more acurately unrecorded pansies (Viola x wittrockiana)
Viola (Pansy) (1)

Viola (Pansy) (2)

          Golden Ornamental Raspberry (Rubus cockburianus 'Aurea')
Rubus cockburianus 'Aurea'

     Spanish Bluebells (Hyacinthoides hispanica)
Hyacinthoides hispanica (3)

      Tradescantia x 'Blue and Gold'
Tradescantia x 'Blue and Gold' (2)
 
     Ajuga reptans 'Chocolate Chip'
Ajuga reptans 'Chocolate Chip'

     Corydalis heterocarpa var. japonica
Corydalis heterocarpa var. japonica

     Robin's Plantain (Erigeron pulchellus)
Erigeron pulchellus

     Royal Purple Smokebush (Continus coggygria 'Royal Purple)
Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple'

     Weigela coraeensis
Weigela coraeensis

     Stachyurus praecox ''Mitsuzaki'
Stachyurus praecox ''Mitsuzaki'

     Hardy Impatiens (Impatiens omeiana)
Impatiens omeiana
 
     Spanish Bluebells - pink form (Hyacinthoides hispanica)
Hyacinthoides hispanica (4)

     George Tabor Azalea (Rhododendron x 'George Tabor')
Rhododendron x 'George L. Taber' (2)

     Mrs. G. G. Gerbing Azalea (Rhododendron x 'Mrs. G. G. Gerbing')
Rhododendron x 'Mrs. G. G. Gerbing' (2)

     Nuccio's Gem Camellia (Camellia japonica 'Nuccio's Gem')
Camellia japonica 'Nuccio's Gem' (2)

     To see what is growing for other gardeners, please visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens who hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day on the 15th of each month - rain or shine. 

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The Rhodos are especially pretty
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your combinations of foliage and blooms are beautiful Les and your presentation of photos is just stunning! Spring has certainly sprung in your garden. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous blooms! And quite a variety, too. I think we must be just about a month ahead of you. My Bignonia was in full bloom last month and is pretty much past it by now. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling the same way now--about feeling contented and blessed. Spring has begun in full swing now, with no freezes in the forecast. Maybe that will be it for the season? Time will tell, but things are happening so fast now ... so much so that my GBBD post is way out of date already. Your Camellia shot makes my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a variety of shrubs and plants you show us.
    The names did not respond to my hovering though.
    Your Spring is so advanced compare to ours in the UK.
    I enjoyed my visit. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really smitten with the very last flower, so creamy and delicate. We are suddenly a good 15 degrees above normal after being below, so I am hoping everything does not just explode open and die. I do not like temps in the 70s in April in Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wanted to thank you for posting the Lantern fest fotos a while back..A serendipitous glance at that blog led me to add a stopover in Norfolk to see the gardens and lanterns on my journey from Tallahassee, Fl to RI. I quickly lined up an AirBnB close by and swooped in from Columbia, SC arriving just about 5pm for a spin through the landscapes. It was 65 degrees and the lighting was gorgeous. Then, as the sun was setting I wandered over to the lanterns. What a treat...Of course, Asian food was in order after that so I stopped in to Sawasdee Thai restaurant for cold beer and eats. I thought about asking after you but then said, nah...leave it a mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to look up those impatiens. They might be a good replacement for a filler plant under a tree I am thinking of taking out.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is certainly a wealth of blooms in your spring garden! LOL Spring is such a wonderful season isn't it. I just wish it were longer here in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much fresh growth and gorgeous color. I notice you have Spanish Bluebells, do you find that they tend to spread out of control?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! And thanks for taking the time to label them as I enjoyed learning their names. We are barely starting spring in Maine with bulbs. Thanks so much for sharing your high spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the view off the front porch.
    I'm enchanted by the leafs of the Hardy Impatiens; they are amazing. I read they are rather 'vigorous', which cooled my enthusiasm. What is your experience? Are they difficult to control?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only had these about a year, and so far they are not vigorous. Actually, at the end of last summer I thought that I had lost them to dry weather. They were in in constant need of water. This year they appeared to have settled in well.

      Delete