An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

April 15, 2014

Bloom Day - Nearly Missed It

     On the way home from work today, it suddenly dawned on me that today was Bloom Day, and I was not sure I could pull it off. A big ugly front is passing through today bringing heavy downpours and tonight much colder temperatures. Fortunately, I was able to get home during a break in the rain and was able to get some shots. Even more fortunately, we are not expected to get any freezing weather tonight, which the rest of the state has in store. While I was in the garden I came across a large fabric case with a shoulder strap tossed into one of my beds. Opening the case I determined it was a breast pump kit and that likely some ne'er-do-well chucked it there when he figured what he stole was not something more lucrative. Oh well, that's life in the big city. Now on with the show (hover over the photos if you want the plant names).

Narcissus

Loropetalum chinensis var. rubrum 'Pizazz'

Ipheion uniflorum

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Little Honey'

Ranunculus x 'Brazen Hussy'

Porch View with Redbud

Rhododendron x 'Red Ruffles'

Tulipa (1)

Tulipa (1)

Viola koreana 'Sylettas'

Viola

Weigela coraeensis

Acer palmatum

Ajuga reptans 'Chocolate Chip'

Corydalis heterocarpa var. japonica, Brassica oleracea 'Redbor', Euphorbia helioscopia

Euphorbia helioscopia - Mad Woman's Milk (2)

Euphorbia myrsinites

Euphorbia x martinii 'Ascot Rainbow'  (2)

Fallopia japonica 'Variegata'

Hyacinthoides hispanica (3)

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Sun Goddess'

     On the 15th of each month Carol of May Dreams Gardens hosts Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. You should stop by and see what the cool kids are doing.

9 comments:

  1. I'm grateful that there was lull in the rain, so that you could share your beautiful garden with us. How strange to find a breast pump in your garden! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful images, Les--especially because of the rain drops. I'm glad you're not getting the freezing temps. Your garden is in a lush and lovely stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and flowers. I hope the storm wasn't bad -- I know you must be tired of winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always learn something looking at your posts. That's very interesting foliage on the Korean violet — it's a new one for me. I'm surprised at how long the stems are on the ranunculus — must be a very shady spot. So far my loropetalum looks to be a goner from this winter's vicissitudes. But I already have purchased another as standby. They are lovely plants and worth pushing the zonal boundaries for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely plants and lovely photographs of your wet plants. I have seen quite a few Loropetalums on American blogs. Is it hardy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Les, you are so lucky. I think your flowers are a month ahead of us. We're going down to -4 C tonight (29 F or so) !!! I like your first image best, but they are all a tonic for sore eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much blooming and all those shades of green foliage....glad you didn't miss bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks wonderful as always, but I loved the shot of your neighbor's "grass garden" across the street! Always amazes me when no one else around you feels free to join the garden party at their house.

    ReplyDelete