An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

March 2, 2014

A Dispatch from the Cold Front

     This weekend I took a road trip to Pennsylvania, primarily to see the Philadelphia Flower Show which opened on Saturday. While I was there I was able to stay with my brother who lives in rural Bucks Co., about an hour north of the city. It's always great to see my brother, but visiting him is doubly good because the area where he lives is quite beautiful. Until this weekend, I've always gone in July or August during the height of the green season. The landscape looked a little different this time. Up to two feet of accumulated snow lay on the ground, and maneuvering around the sizable potholes and piled up snow banks made driving interesting. Over the next 24 hours another 8-10" of snow is forecasted to fall on top of what's already there, so I said my goodbye earlier than planned to avoid having to stay longer than planned. Even though we are probably all sick of winter, I made few stops before heading home to take pictures of frozen Lake Nockamixon and the icefalls on Nockamixon Cliffs.

Lake Nockamixon (2)

Nockamixon Cliffs (7)

Nockamixon Cliffs (5)

Nockamixon Cliffs (8)

Nockamixon Cliffs (9)

Nockamixon Cliffs (4)

Nockamixon Cliffs (2)

Nockamixon Cliffs (3)

    I will soon post my pictures taken at the flower show, and I have another batch from Longwood Gardens' orchid show, which I was able to see on the way up. Both places were over the top, which is just what I needed to get me through to spring.

(Please don't forget to enter my Winter Walk-Off meme which runs until March 19th. I am looking forward to your contribution. BTW, I think I should mention that neither of the guys in the last photo are me or my brother, we have more sense, and less agility.)

28 comments:

  1. looks like the White Mts, Les. Really nice shots. Looking forward to the coming photos. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael, snow must have followed me home. Schools closed today and entire region in mild panic mode.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I so enjoy seeing those ice formations! Similar formations grace the sides of the bluffs along the Mississippi River near LaCrosse, Wis. I was just up there a week ago, but didn't stop to take photos. The formations are wonderful and your photos are exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I had never seen anything like this. The size of them is what impressed me, with some of the "icicles" being 20-30' tall.

      Delete
  3. Those ice formations are waaaay cool but seeing ice climbers on there even neater! Wowser--what a sport!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I think those guys were possessed. They were just two of many who had taken all the parking spaces, so I had to stop in the middle of the road to get the photo.

      Delete
  4. Those beautiful frozen spears looks just like stalactites. I'm relived it isn't you climbing up water fall: it's seems dangerous and foolish. Just as I was complaining about the numbing endless rain that keeps me out the garden, I see your pictures and I'm reminded it could be much worse, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chavliness, I was thinking stalactites as well. Some of them were close to 30' long.

      Delete
  5. Great ice! I liked ice climbing the one time I tried it. No waterfalls around in Chicago though...thanks for the cool scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like looking at ice Lynn, but I would never climb it unless there was bear at the bottom and safety at the top.

      Delete
  6. I have to admit I think that guy climbing the ice is crazy.

    We lived in PA for 3 years, and your pictures remind of the roadside views in West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SB, I was kind of shocked when I saw them. They were so into it.

      Delete
  7. The ice makes for nice photos. We have that type of ice in the gorge too, but no climbers that I ever saw. I think they would get arrested. Your brother lives the next county over from where I am from in PA. Bucks is where my one cousin lives. Small world sometimes. I was to go to the Phila. flower show with my garden club, but could not make the trip this year since my husband is out of town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I am really glad I made the trip. The flower show was spectacular and I am already thinking about making the trip next year.

      Delete
  8. Spectacular ice shots Les and the frozen lake makes me miss living in a place that has real winter. Best to admire it somewhere else and then go home though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, I have never once wished I lived in a place that had real winter, never!

      Delete
  9. Those guys are crazy!! But the snow pics are pretty. We received 8" of new snow today but I hope spring is coming soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring? What is this spring you speak of?

      Delete
  10. Those photos are marvellous. I think ice climbing would be a hoot ! My knees couldn't do it, but it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my knees would say no, as well as my brain.

      Delete
  11. So which do you prefer - the hot humid summers or the frigid icy winters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, without hesitation, hot humid summers. Love them!

      Delete
  12. Wow! Those frozen falls are impressive and gorgeous. I can't imagine being brave enough to scale them. It's snowing in Maine right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I thought it was dangerous enough to just walk on the side of the road to get to the falls, let alone climb them.

      Delete
  13. Wow, those photos make me shiver! I am looking forward to your pics of the show. Unfortunately I visited Chelsea and Hampton Court before Philly.(Reminded me of a Peggy Lee song.) But it is always uplifting to see flowers in the middle of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I've been to the Hampton Court show, on a day filled with heavy rain, so I don't need to tell you how crowded the tents were. It got so bad I just said to hell with the rain and headed outside to find the Australian wine booth.

      Delete
  14. In my other life, I'd like to climb the frozen falls...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tatyana, in my other life I would fly over them in a hot air balloon.

      Delete