An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

August 15, 2013

Bloom Day - Summer Colors

     I was not honestly sure what I would have to show for this month's Bloom Day. I knew there were blooms in the garden, but just have not had any time to see them. I have been away somewhere for the past three weekends, and we just got back from a vacation this week. Fortunately, Mother Nature has been providing the garden with regular rain, she is just not very good at weeding or deadheading, which I will overlook. She has given us a delightful summer weather-wise.

     Evergreen wisteria (Millettia reticulata) is neither evergreen nor a wisteria, but I love its late summer, fragrant bloom.
Millettia reticulata

     Porterweed (Stachytarpheta mutabilis 'Coral')
Stachytarpheta mutabilis 'Coral'

     Cuphea x 'David Verity'
Cuphea x 'David Verity'

     This Rudbeckia fulgida blew in from my neighbor's yard and found a home between the concrete sidewalk and a concrete wall, but it seems happy.
Rudbeckia fulgida

     Last year, a seedling coleus (Solenostemon scutellarioides) came up in a pot on my steps. I was really taken by it and had it propagated at work. A co-worker named it 'Crime Scene'.
Solenostemon scutellarioides 'Crime Scene'

     I failed to record the name of this Lantana, but it says "party!" to me.
Lantana

     'Miss Huff' likes to party too.
Lantana camara 'Miss Huff'

     I hunted all over for my favorite zinnia series and finally found some Zinnia marylandica 'Zahara Double Fire' at a big box store. They were planted later than I like, but have caught up nicely.
Zinnia marylandica 'Zahara Double Fire' and Lantana

     If you would like to see which colors other gardeners are enjoying right now, than visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens, where she hosts a garden blogging party on the fifteenth of every month.

11 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I enjoy reading your blog on the Virginia Gardener website, and I loved seeing all your beautiful blooms for Garden Blogger's Bloom Day. It's nice to know what's happening right around the corner from my NoVa garden. It's interesting to see the similarities and differences in this small, but diverse, geographic area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purple on the Millettia looks extraordinary. Another plant that you have contributed to my wish list... — jw

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must've been nice to come home from vacation to these beauties, Les. And that Lantana does say party (just celebrating your return!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed yet another bloom day? Also planted my favorite (bees and butterfly's favorite too) zinnia - Canary - late, and it is a star in the garden now. Thank you abnormal summer weather.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've grown Cuphea this year for the first time and I really love it. I'm a big fan of Zinnias also, though my favorite is Profusion Orange. That Evergreen Wisteria looks like an intriguing plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, a delightful summer, not as dry and hot as last. Plants are happy too. I like all the colors of the Lantana, looks like a Mexican pinata.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be still my heart. I want that wisteria but will have to settle for your luscious picture. So happy to hear you can feel a breeze this August. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy your GBBD posts, you grow some very different plants, and always capture them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of Millettia reticulata. It looks very attractive!
    Love the name 'crime scene'! Very appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Les, Your "crime scene" gave me a chuckle as did the "party" varieties of Lantanas. I love the rich aubergine in the shot of the Evergreen wisteria (Millettia reticulata).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photography is excellent! I really love the wisteria. 'Crime Scene'? Too funny! :o)

    ReplyDelete