An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

December 31, 2012

The Last Sunset of 2012

A couple of years ago I began taking a picture of the last sunset of the year as a way to mark the turning of the calendar.  When I headed out tonight to get my shot, the sky was overcast and not very promising.  With great effort, I tried to not read anything into the bleak, colorless sky as a portent of things to come.  Then I thought maybe not having a clear view can be a good thing. Some people, certain of what lies ahead, are are quick to dismiss anything that does not fit into their already formed view.  Where perhaps a clouded vision keeps you on your toes, more open to whatever opportunities present themselves.

Not listening to my own advice, I took several shots and decided the scene was not going to get any better and left.  Moments later I noticed a bright slash of pink sky in the rearview mirror.  While turning the car around to get what would have been a more colorful shot, the moment quickly passed. In my head was the voice of Master Po saying "patience, grasshopper".


I wish all of you a happy new year, full of opportunities, the patience to wait for them, and sprinkled with occasional 70's TV show references.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the lesson. I can be single-minded sometimes, and have a tendency to be the type who doesn't cope well with curveballs and unexpected opportunities disguised as obstacles. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos in 2013.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all...the photo, the message, and the trip back to the '70s :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Les. It's still a beautiful shot. Your photos always delight.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worth the wait!

    Ze plane! Ze plane! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a patient grasshopper and would make a poor student of waiting. So true on dismissing what what envisions. Maybe what is less than expected becomes more than one hopes. Being impatient myself, I never get to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very wise Obi Wan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was often cloudy in South Carolina as well, but we did get to see some good sunsets. Happy new year and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living in the mountains, I miss the glorious sunsets we enjoyed while living on creek off the Chesapeake Bay. So your sunsets are always a treat for me. Thank you! And may 2013 be Dy-no-mite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember another sunset post with more glory but this is beautiful too in a quiet way. With the elementary school shooting and the gang rape in India, December was overcast but I'd like to think that there are rays of hope for 2013. Happy New Year, Les!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patience grasshopper. haha. yes, we so want that perfect picture when we are ready, not when nature is ready. Beautiful picture, a bit dreary, but such is life.

    ReplyDelete