An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

March 15, 2012

Bloom Day - The Colors of March

Am I the only person who associates each month with a certain color or set of colors?  When I hear or see the word March, bright yellow and green flash in my brain, but this year the month has many colors.

Corydalis heterocarpa
Corydalis heterocarpa (2)

Corydalis heterocarpa (3)

Corydalis heterocarpa


Ranunculus 'Brazen Hussy'
Ranunculus x 'Brazen Hussy'

Ranunculus x 'Brazen Hussy'  (2)


Narcissus
Narcissus


Edgeworthia chrysantha
Edgeworthia chrysantha

Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina jessamine) about to bloom.
Gelsemium sempervirens

Narcissus and Spiraea thunbergii 'Ogon'
Spiraea thunbergii 'Ogon'

Leucojum
Leucojum

Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Zhuzhou Fuchsia'
Loropetalum chinense var. rubrum 'Zhuzhou Fuchsia'

Camellia japonica 'Crimson Candles'
Camellia japonica 'Crimson Candles'

Camellia japonica 'Cherries Jubilee'
Camellia japonica 'Cherries Jubilee'

Chaenomeles 'Hime' (Japanese quince) has been blooming since November.
Chaenomeles 'Hime'

Chaenomeles 'Hime'  (2)

Vinca minor
Vinca minor

Ipheion uniflorum 'Rolf Fiedler'
Ipheion uniflorum 'Rolf Fiedler'

Veronica umbrosa 'Georgia Blue'
Veronica umbrosa 'Georgia Blue'

Front Corner

If you would like to see what colors are showing up in other blogger's gardens, then you should head over to May Dreams Gardens where Carol is hosting another Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, held on the 15th of each month and open to all.

(This will likely be your last reminder that if you feel so inclined, you are cordially invited to participate in my Winter Walk-Off.  I am taking entries until Monday at midnight.)

24 comments:

  1. A wonderful rainbow of spring colour, but I especially enjoyed the yellow blooms, perhaps because I have very little of that colour in my garden. The coydalis is beautiful and lovely foliage as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many other colors in your garden too besides yellow, but I agree, yellow screams sun and Spring. No other time of year do I have as much yellow in the garden. I appreciate it more in the soft and clear light of Spring. Lovely photos and garden. Happy GBBD, Les.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that last picture is stunning! How beautiful. Spring has truly arrived! Love that black kale under the white spirea. Your blue veronica puts mine to shame! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular! Yellow does seem to be the prominent color of early spring. I wonder why that is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yellow precedes the fuchsia pink of mid-March here. It is amazing how quickly the yellows disappear and the pink and white wedding cake garden appears.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful display you have for passersby! That kale is fabulous next to the bright flowers. It is so incredibly warm up here (81 today) that the snowdrops are going to disappear in another day, whoosh. Not really all that thrilled with this super warm Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to think of colors at certain times of the spring season especially....however, as my plant palette has increased the morph from yellows to whites to pinks is blurred.
    I forgot to include my Quince in my post today....had a lot without it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First the yellows, then the pinks and then even more colors of the rainbow...well, I know they are coming north soon. Love your Bloom Day blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colors indeed. I am surprised my gelsemium is about two weeks ahead of yours. That corydalis-my fave! That last picture is the best. I like seeing the long shots and all the colors really show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Les,
    Thank you, been wondering what Corydalis heterocarpa was when I saw in weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always enjoy your images Les. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So, so pretty and I adore that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spectacular. OK, now how do I get some of that corydalis? Do you have C. nobilis? Maybe we could trade.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes for me...yellow/green=March,
    red/white=April,
    purple/pink/white = May
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very beautiful!
    I have the vinca, too - I forgot to include it in my post!
    Happy Gardening!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  16. True flower power exposition, wonderful series Les! You brought me into the Easter mode immediately! Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Les, What variety! What color! What a feast for the winter weary.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post...I just love the Ranunculus with the dark leaves...so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My goodness, what wonderful pictures. Yes, I do think March is a yellow month. Really nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My goodness, what wonderful pictures. Yes, I do think March is a yellow month. Really nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, your blooms are out of this world. Such clear colors I can't decide which ones I like the best they are all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here in Chicago, the colors of early spring are:
    yellow: daffodils and celandine poppy, spicebush and forsythia.
    blue: woodland phlox, virginia bluebells, squill.
    pink/white: crabapples, hawthornes, and prairie smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks all for taking the time to comment on my Bloom Day post. An increasing work load, the spring garden and life in general are currently getting in the way of blogging, so pardon me for not responding to each of you individually.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hear you, Les, about the workload. I didn't catch this post and the doppelganger corydalis in your garden. Hope things ease up a bit.

    ReplyDelete