An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

November 8, 2011

Country Comes to Town

I was driving through Smithfield today and had to turn the car around when I saw these urns planted with dog fennel (Eupatorium capillifolium).  Normally you don't see this planted on purpose, never-the-less it has a firm foothold in local landscapes and is most often seen along roadsides, abandoned fields and in other and various no-man's lands.  Apparently Frances  and Janet have company in being able to see past this plant's reputation to enjoy it's ornamental qualities.


11 comments:

  1. They certainly look dramatic here..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmm ... it's certainly a statement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we overlook the obvious. I like them and the urns...fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes a great winter arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm going to start looking around in the woods for some container plantings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not crazy about the plantings, but I love those old urns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep the weeds and the urns - I'll take the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not know dog fennel. Have to look that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My vote is with the house. Some things are best left in fields as weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlie thinks it looks grand. I still think it is funny. The fall color matches the house color. Think they grew it from a small plant all summer or that they dug it up when the grand plumes and fall color made it a focal point?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely house, not sure about the plants...

    ReplyDelete