An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

September 28, 2011

Unsettled Weather

This morning the sun shone and summer made a brief return visit.  The temperature rapidly reached the mid 80's and turned to steam all the moisture in the sodden ground.  It was July humid.  In the early afternoon a black wall of clouds rose up out of the south.  The temperatures fell, and heavy, fat-drop rain began with hail following soon.  Tornado and flash flood warnings were issued.  It calmed down for a while, but then a second round came, followed by another lull as I left work. In the direction of Norfolk the dark sky was roiling, and I was witness to a wrath-of-God kind of thunder and lightening show.  Once home, I headed to the river to watch the last act.  At sunset the clouds parted just a bit to show some color other than black or gray.  It was like cracking the door open on a wood stove in a darkened room.

Lafayette 9-28-11 (2)

12 comments:

  1. I used to enjoy a thunder and lightening show until our house, with me in it, was struck. Now I am like little Albert, totally conditioned to be terrified of it especially if I am out hiking. Although, maybe right now I would welcome one. Glad you enjoyed your show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunset-wood stove: magnificent metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the image and even more how you describe it with just the right simile: cracking open a wood stove in a dark room as that is our future. We've had warm summery weather in Maine too and rain is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your woodstove metaphor. When my sister lived in Southern CA, she said what she missed most was the thunderstorms we experienced growing up on a Great Lake (Buffalo).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are getting the same type of weather here. Just had a tropical downpour with thunder and lightening and then sunshine and then another storm. Sun (what's that?) in store for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A molten lava sunset! Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les, The photos is stellar and what a perfect metaphor. gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greggo,
    succinct

    L Rose,
    A house I was standing next to got struck once, but amazingly I did not realize it at the time. Can you say clueless!

    James,
    Thanks, and that came to be quickly for a change.

    Sarah,
    I sure hope we are months away from wishing we had a wood stove.

    Linda,
    Thunderstorms count for entertainment here.

    Ann,
    Thank you. I almost missed it.

    Gail,
    Thank you very much.

    NAL,
    Thanks for making the journey.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning image Les, I love the light on the ripples.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a great photo moment...

    Nicely done

    ReplyDelete