An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

February 15, 2011

Bloom Day: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

If you enjoyed last month's Bloom Day at A Tidewater Gardener, you will not be disappointed with this post, because with only one exception, the same things are still blooming.  There have been changes to the garden in 30 day's time, but they are just not that colorful.  My Narcissus are pushing up, and the Hellebores, Edgeworthia and Camellia japonicas are budded, though none is showing color.  At this point my garden is more expectant promise than anything else.

Narcissus Emerging

It's bordering on overkill to show my Yuletide Camellia for three Bloom Day's in a row, but I have to work with what I've got.  Though I have bitched about the early and sustained cold weather, one benefit has been the fact that this plant has been doling out parcels of red for nearly three months.

Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide'

Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide' (2)

Across the bridge from the Yuletide is an Ilex vomitoria 'Will Flemming' bowing down for a drink from the pond.  The snows have not been kind to this plant, which already needed no excuse to flop.

Snow Bent Yaupon

Despite all the bad weather, these Radiance Red Pansies have performed very well.  Some people in the business might refer to them as "good doers", an expression I find awkward, but appropriate in this case.

Viola x 'Radiance Red' (2)

Viola x 'Radiance Red' (3)

Viola x 'Radiance Red'

Finally, here is a photo of the only new player on the stage, a bedraggled Snowdrop weak from last Thursday's snow.

Galanthus

These photos were all taken Saturday, and since then the snow has melted.  Yesterday the temperature actually reached 70, but today it's not supposed to get out of the 40's.  Later this week it is predicted to return to the 50's, 60's and perhaps higher, so maybe a corner has been turned.  I certainly hope so.

Thanks once again to the determined Carol of May Dreams Garden for hosting Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, held on the fifteenth of each month.

23 comments:

  1. I'm happy to see 'Yuletide' as many times as you show it - such a beauty. Those RR pansies are just lovely - great captures. I find that 'doer' phrase a little funny too, but you know exactly what is meant :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your back lit pansy photo is captivating.Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les, Your camellia is stunning! Radiance Red Pansies look fantastic with snow at their feet~Oh, what a winter we've all had! gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! Les I am drooling over your Camelia! Love the Happy faces of your sweet Pansies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still pretty flowers and buds in your cold winter garden. Happy Blooms Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sunlit pansy is especially pretty as is your camellia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Yuletide camellia refuses to bloom. Maybe I have moved it too many times? Yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pansy pictures. So very pretty. Interesting colors on them too. I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could post photos of your camellia every month, and I wouldn't grow tired of seeing them. I can't believe it is still covered with flowers. What happened when it got so cold? Your viola photos are quite artistic. I managed to find a lot more flowers than I thought in snowy PA. Happy GBBD, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, all of it. Camellias have not fared well here. Those buds brave enough to open were blacked by the cold. Tight buds abound, waiting for some prolonged warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Les,
    Everyone seems to like the Pansies. I do too. They are a fantastic shade!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I had Yuletide, and if it was as free with its gifts, you can bet it would appear in every one of my Blooms Day posts as well. Not even pansies are "doing" outdoors at our place. But Spring's on its way, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Edgeworthia isn't even close to opening yet. Will have to look at it again after this warm weather.
    What happened to your Will Flemming? Snow?

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are thrilled to be in the 40s this week, but too much snow for even buds to be poking through. The pansies are quite splashy for such a diminutive plant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. your garden is colorful and green. I'm just green.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love love love the pansy photos! We're still under a LOT of snow, so it really made me smile to see actual flowersQ!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love those Red Radiance pansies! How beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your camellia, and am happy to keep seeing it for as long as it carries on blooming! I also love your pansies - I went for just Violas this year, and although I love them in pots I think I will need Pansies too next year. I feel very sorry for your Ilex though, hope it recovers and learns to stand straight, shoulders back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. After three months, your Yuletime Camellia is a keeper. And so are the Radiance Red pansies with their happy faces.

    I agree that we've turned the corner on winter. I'm looking forward to the show on Bloom Day next month. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous photos. I'm quite happy to keep looking at your beautiful camellia and the pansies are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks to all of you for stopping by and leaving your kind comments. I'm looking forward to everyone's hopefully more colorful March GBBD.

    ReplyDelete