An unapologetic plant geek shares advice and opinions on gardening, the contrived and the natural landscape, as well as occasional topics from the other side of the gate.

August 20, 2010

The High Line

From the first time I read of its proposal, The High Line has fascinated me. So I knew when we visited Manhattan this summer, I would make time to explore it, and I was not disappointed.

Rudbeckia at Chelsea Grasslands

Rudbeckia at Chelsea Grasslands


The High Line was constructed in the 1930's to elevate freight trains above the streets of New York's Meatpacking District. For half a century it delivered the milk, meat and produce that a hungry city needed. Buildings were constructed around it and took advantage of railroad tracks right outside, or in some cases inside, their second story. The last train ran here in 1980 and the tracks soon fell into disrepair. Mother Nature, who even in Manhattan abhors a vacuum, set seed in the railroad bed. Perhaps, this weedy growth, an unusual history and the need for open space inspired the park.

10th Ave. Square

10th Ave (2)


Today The High Line is richly planted, mostly with natives that seem perfectly at home among the tracks. The landscape evokes what may have been growing here when Manhattan was just a wild island along the Hudson. However, this park does not deny its human history, in fact it is embraced. There are also many spaces where busy people can relax on benches and lounge chairs, enjoy the city view, listen to concerts and mainly take advantage of the totally linear nature of the park and simply stroll above the busy streets.

Persicaria amplexicaulis

Persicaria


View Towards the Hudson

Prairie in the Sky


Liatris aspera

Liatris aspera


The Standard Hotel

The Standard (3)


The Standard (2)


Rhexia virginica

Rhexia virginica


Along the Tracks

Prairie in the Sky (2)


10th Ave. Square

10th Ave


Helenium x ‘Ruby Tuesday’

Helenium x ‘Ruby Tuesday’


This is one of my favorite photos from the day, with Rattlesnake Master (Eryngium yuccifolium) blooms in the foreground and a well-known New York icon in the hazy distance. One of the reasons I published this post today was to be on time to enter the Gardening Gone Wild Picture This Photo Contest for August.

Eryngium yuccifolium


The High Line is perhaps the most unique garden I have ever visited, and few places so successfully integrate themselves into their surroundings. If you visit New York, put this on your to-do list. If you want to find out more The High Line has an excellent web site, that includes a month-by-month plant list, lots of historic and contemporary photos, a list of events, insight into its design and lots more. If you want to see how other photographers interpret this place, there is a Flikr group for The High Line where many other perspectives are shown, besides my own. At the end of my visit, I could glimpse the second section which will soon be open. We could see some of the plants where being installed to become another piece of the new New York.

33 comments:

  1. Les, we have not been there, but have read several articles about it. Wonderful photo and I believe a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been VERY anxious to see this for a while now, and your pics just make me drool even more. I have to go get some towels. Amazingly beautiful and perfect in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beautifully written post perfectly matches the gorgeous pictures. Together, your words and pictures show a surprising side of New York. Who knew Mother Nature lived so comfortably in such an urban setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice photos! I did a post last fall, when it has a slightly different look, after visiting on Halloween weekend. Good luck with the contest

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post! I visited NYC about ten years ago and had no idea the high line exsited. Now I want to go back so I can enjoy this amazing garden! You have captured it quite well, and your entry into the contest is fantastic. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'd get my vote, if 'Picture This' was run by poll.

    I've followed High Line for a long time, too. It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Les this is a great post. I've read several on the High Line and I think you captured it best (not that I've been there to see it...yet, I will!). I just love the concept and the result. My hometown of Spokane, WA has a similar elevated train track running right through downtown. It's still in use but if ever they close it I'll be there at city hall explaining that they need to do this. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les,

    Great post. I visited the High Line last March and this makes me want to have a return visit. You captured the feel of the place beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The High Line reminds me a bit of the Lurie Garden in Chicago, with native plants contrasting with skyscrapers. Your photos make me want to see it in person. It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post and GGW photo contest entry. Have only been to Manhattan a handful of times but have enjoyed every visit. Thank you for introducing me to a part of the city I have never seen. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's on my life list of gardens to visit. Yours are the best photos I've seen of the garden, capturing the contrast and beauty of the city in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had in mind making that same visit the next time we're in New York. Looks enchanting. Great choice for the GGW photo contest too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very gorgeous and well composed photos. NY is worth the visit and the high line should not be missed. What a different perspective of NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic roof gardens, what a joy to see this in a densely built city, real paradises in a busy world, cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post. I didn't know about the High Line, and found myself totally absorbed. I'm fascinated by what happens when nature moves in to the spaces that man vacates - keep meaning to buy 'The World Without Us'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing what people can do! Bravo, New York! Great pictures, I love them all and I love the plants in the 'Along The Tracks' shot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post. This did not exist last time we were in NYC and I love reading about it, especially when the writer is a gardener. That last image is definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just wanted to thank everyone for stopping by and leaving a comment. I had a great time on The High Line and a enjoyed writing this post.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was there last year in July. It is one of my favorite public greenspaces. Fantastic shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic post, really does this amazing place justice. I first became enchanted reading about this place when it was just the abandoned elevated railway line, and then they do this to it! Life seldom turns out so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Argh, how did I miss this when I was in NYC two summers ago. Was it there then?

    Great photos, and I think your rattlesnake master with the Empire State Bldg in the background is a winner. I love how those benches look like a continuation of the planks bending up from the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I now have an excellent reason to visit NYC! I love this garden~There is something wonderful about wilderness and wildflowers in the middle of a busy city~thanks for sharing...Any of these photos are contest worthy, gail

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice shots, Les--especially the last one. And I like both of the 10th Ave Square shots a WHOLE lot.

    P.S. The purple beans were yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Les, What a great post! Your photos documenting the High Line are fabulous and make anyone want to visit. NY has so many amazing places to see this is most unique from all the other green of the city. I too have been looking forward to seeing the wild walkway. It has been too long since my last visit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful pictures on your blog. Fascinating words about the boulders where nothing grows.
    Love the city pictures with the contrasts between soft and hard. The skylines are great.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Spectacular photos. What amazes me is you seem to have taken them in the bright daylight.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks again for all your comments. Pam, this park opened last June, so you did not miss it, but you will have to go again. James, I guess we got there around 10 or so, and it was sunny but hazy.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have seen many pictures of this project, but this is the first time that I get an actual feel for the place. Not easy to photograph and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for this lovely post. Your photos are so much better than any I have seen in the past.

    The High Line was already the first item on my list of must-see venues for my upcoming NYC visit. You've shown me how much I will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. congratulations, Les! And I say again, "Wonderful photo and I believe a winner!"

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jo, Mulch Maid and Di,
    Thank you!

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on having your picture chosen at GGW. It was well deserved and right on topic.

    ReplyDelete